PMPlan© Product Technical Data
The PMPlan Stand-Alone Products
The stand-alone versions are, PMPlan Standard and PMPlanPro when used as in the stand-alone mode.PMPlan is an MS Windows® based Project Management graphical software tool that focus’ on project development through the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), and addresses project and management requirements, contractual data items, and Earned Value Analysis and Reporting on cost and schedule.
PMPlan provides for the integration of the WBS and the Organizational Matrix in a manner that permits identification of responsibilities, cost account selection, work authorization, scheduling, resource management, budgeting, cost accumulation, cost and schedule performance measurement, variance analysis, and reporting and change control for WBS and Organizational elements.
The PMPlan Multi-User Products
The multi-user versions are the server based database versions of the PMPlan software applications, PMPlan Enterprise and PMPlan Enterprise “Premier”.
PMPlan Enterprise and PMPlan Enterprise “Premier” applications: support project management and line management teams in providing for concurrent and timely access to a centralized common project and workforce resource database by all project teams, for all projects, expediting and improving the processing of project and workforce financial and schedule forecast data.
- The project management tools, PMPlan Enterprise and PMPlan Enterprise “Premier”, are enhanced version of the stand-alone PMPlan standard, and with the exception of the resource pool, looks and works the same as PMPlan. However, PMPlan Enterprise and PMPlan Enterprise “Premier” tools contain additional features not available in PMPlan such as the ability to define project rules, develop Burden Rate tables, etc. PMPlan Enterprise and PMPlan Enterprise “Premier” tools can be customized to access specific project financial and forecasting data of other applications and organizational databases and/or other unique management processes, allowing for additional and more comprehensive Earned Value Management EVM) and other reporting requirements.
- The line management tool, LMPlan, is a workforce assignment and forecasting tool for billable and un-billable project and overhead applications. It provides for the set up its own project file for limited purposes, or may import project plans from the Enterprise project management tool, PMPlan Enterprise, or other in house project or pricing tools, either directly or indirectly.
- All sensitive information contained in the centralized database is managed, with controlled access, through another limited access Enterprise tool, anDBManager.
- A Management focused Revenue and Portfolio tool, PMFolio provides for the analysis of the project data stored within the centralized server database, and provides summary reports that determine the status and health of all of the projects within the database, or of selected projects of interest.
PMPlan Enterprise and PMPlan Enterprise “Premier” tools, with the exception of the resource pool, look and work the same as PMPlan, but the application contains additional features not available in PMPlan such as a the ability to define project rules, develop Burden Rate Tables, use the common Resource Pool, and can define project specific holidays and override normal non-workdays. Resource loading, which is stored at daily level, is done from task level with automatic roll up to the cost center and the project.
PMPlan Enterprise and PMPlan Enterprise “Premier” tools incorporate import/export capabilities for other applications including PMPlan, MS Project®, Microframe’s MPM® and ProPricer®. PMPlan Enterprise and PMPlan Enterprise “Premier” tools can be customized to interface with additional modules (not included with this application), custom designed to access specific project and forecasting data of other applications and/or organizational databases allowing for additional and more comprehensive Earned Value Management (EVM) reporting.
These applications can be installed on any of the site’s Windows® compatible computers, and PMPlan Enterprise, can be concurrently connected to the database, and comes with thirty (30) licensed user seats (Note: additional licensed concurrent seats can be purchased).
The PMPlan Enterprise and PMPlan Enterprise “Premier” tools provide the project and line managers with compatible tools that, when jointly applied to the common data within the centralized database, provides for timely project status reports and summary data support for the administration and forecasting of the workload and workforce requirements on the total organizational human resource pool defined within the database.
The ‘PMPlanDatabase’ contains all of the tables used by PMPlan Enterprise and PMPlan Enterprise “Premier”, PMPlanPro, LMPlan, and PMFolio. The ‘PMPlanDatabase’ is attached to an independently purchased and installed Microsoft SQL Server™ on the organization’s network server, and is managed by anDBManager. These applications may be installed on any MS Windows® or Apple Intel based Mac® compatible computer.
Additional Supporting Data & Downloads
The PMPlan applications are all project management tools developed for the planning, pricing and organizing of work activities, schedules, resources and budgets, and tracking the work performed on these to determine the Value Earned through the measurement of schedule and cost variances to a baseline plan.
PMPlan aids in the construction of, and tracks a project through its Work Breakdown Structure, Milestones, time phased Integrated Project Scheduling, Precedence Logic Network with Critical Path, and through individualized and categorized Resource Budgeting. PMPlan tracks resource loading, by day, week, month, quarter, year or fiscal year, and tracks budgets for these resources at every level of the WBS above the activity the resources are planned.
PMPlan Standalone tool functions wherein it saves data files to its own internal database. With the exception of resources and workforce loading, the PMPlan standalone data files may be imported into PMPlanPro and PMPlan Enterprise.
System Requirements and Installation of the PMPlan Tools
PMPlan Standard and PMPlan Enterprise Tools may be installed on MS Windows® (NT, 2000, XP, Vista or Windows (7 or 8) 32 or 64 bit compatible platforms; (and were also tested on a newer Mac with an Intel processor, and using virtual Windows)
Project size will have the greatest impact on the computers processor speed and memory resources.
The minimum system requirements for the installation and use of PMPlan4:
- X86 based compatible computer at 1 GHz
- Windows XP/Vista /Windows 7 & 8 (installation requires administrator or power user permissions)
- 200 MB RAM
- 200 MB free hard disk space
- 800 x 600 display , 256 colors 16-bit color quality 512 MB Ram
The recommended minimum system requirements for the installation and extended use of PMPlan4 (more is always appropriate for the larger projects)
- X86 based compatible computer at 2.40 GHz + (or faster speeds for a large project plan)
- Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 & 8 (installation requires administrator or power user permissions)
- 4GB RAM (more is better)
- 200 GB free hard disk space
- 1024 x 768 display minimum (1280 x 960 preferred), 256 colors 16-bit color quality, 512+ MB Ram
Users of Windows operating systems, beginning with 2000, are required to have administrative or power user permissions in order to install new software applications, including PMPlan. Should the user not have these permissions, the system administrator will need to be involved in the installation process. The system administrator will not need to be involved in the update process “IF” the system administrator allows user access to “write” to the ‘AlNik’ and ‘AlNik\PMPlan’ folders established during the installation process.
The following Notes for PMPlan are intended to aid in understanding the logic behind the development of this Project Management Tool Application. These Notes are intended to address elements of the design of PMPlan for Project Management activities and are not inclusive.
- A review of the Earned Value Concept
- Notes on Earned Value Tracking Reports (WBS)
- Notes on Basis of Estimate Report
- Notes on CWBS Code
- Notes on Estimate to Complete
- Notes on Creating Custom Reports
- Notes on Formating Data
- Notes on Sorting Dates
- Notes on Using Criteria
- Notes on Writing Formulas
- Notes on Number Equations
- Notes on Text Equations
- Notes on Date Equations
- Notes on Escalation/Inflation Method
- Notes on Budget Calculations
- Notes on How to Display Float
- Notes on PMPlan Development Assumptions
PMPlan’s Approach to the Earned Value Concept is intended to provide the logic behind it’s use as a Project Management Tool. The example is intended to address the basic’s of earned value in Project Management and is not inclusive.